Clyde Holmes was born in London. His father was a Londoner who worked for the Royal Mail and his mother, who was Polish, worked in a factory. Clyde attended Holloway County School and spent two years working as a session musician for various bands before going to study fine art at Hornsey College of Art and St Martin’s School of Art from 1965 to 1968. He then got a job at the British Library working with blind people until he made the decision to leave London in search of a more rural life.

In 1970, Clyde searched for a place in north Wales that would feed his imagination and inspire his work. He found a remote Snowdonia farmhouse that had been abandoned in 1947, when the house was covered in snow and the resident farmer lucky to escape with his life. But Clyde felt it was the perfect place, and during the ensuing decades, the area became a home to him and his family and very much part of who he was.

He built up an intimate knowledge of the landscape, the plants, animals and insects of the mountains. His painting was concerned with expressing the mystery and power of the wilder aspects of the landscape – of which he believed we are all part. Clyde tried to communicate the mood swings of Snowdonia through cloud-shadow, wind and light working off one another, that constant flux of light and shadow.

Clyde’s work featured in BBC2’s Visions of Snowdonia (1997) and is represented at the Victoria & Albert Museum, the National Museum of Modern Art, Wales, the National Museum of Wales and in numerous collections across Europe. His final collection, Watermarks, which was Arts Council-funded, comprises oil paintings comparing the “lakescapes” of Finland and Wales and was influenced by 19th century German landscape painter Caspar David Friedrich. He has shown his work in over 55 exhibitions from 1974 to 2004.

During his life he published four poetry collections which portrayed his love of the landscape and wildlife, and Guardian First Book award winner Robert Macfarlane chose Skywalls (1998) to represent Snowdonia in a 2005 Guardian article mapping nature, from south to north. He was also recently elected as a member of the Welsh Academy. But above all, Clyde’s poetry was a celebratory act arising from his passion and concern for the rare birds, plants and insects that lived all around him.

Sadly Clyde died on 28 August 2008 aged 67 years.


My grandfather, Ben Hooberman, who has died aged 98, was a leading expert in employment and industrial law, helping to guide the development of workplace rights.

The son of Barnett Hooberman, a wholesale dairy importer, and his wife, Ada (nee Shackman), Ben was born and grew up in Stamford Hill, north London and attended Holloway School. He studied law at Trinity College Dublin, where his world opened up and his desire for keen political debate flowered. His studies were interrupted in 1941 by service in the second world war.

He joined the newly formed Intelligence Corps, serving in mainland Europe and in India. Though proud of his time in the forces, he rarely discussed his duties, which included reuniting families following the liberation of death camps.

Upon his return, Ben finished his law degree in Dublin and embarked on a remarkable life. With a partner, Michael Kelly, he set up the legal firm Lawford & Co in 1954. In 1957 he met Ellen Rosenthal at a party at the Oxford and Cambridge Club, and they were married later that year.

Ben acted as the plaintiff’s solicitor in the 1961 high court case Byrne and Chapple v Foulkes, working to uncover communist ballot-rigging within the Electrical Trades Union. Ben went on to act for, and help democratise, many unions, ensuring representation and justice for workers.

He was involved in momentous legal cases, successfully defending the Conservative MP geoffrey johnson-Smith in a libel case brought by the Church of Scientology, and winning an initial victory against Margaret Thatcher’s’s government in the long-running dispute over union recognition at GCHQ.

Ben served on the boards of the New Statesman, the Minority Rights Group, Pen International and Article 19, helping write constitutions and guiding them legally. His book, An Introduction to British Trade Unions, was published in 1974.

He was dedicated to the Labour party, which he joined in the early 1940s, chaired the Chelsea constituency party in the 50s, was an active member of the influential discussion collective The Group, stood in the parliamentary constituency of St Marylebone in 1959 and in the 2002 local elections, and was on the executive committee of the Society of Labour Lawyers. He maintained close friendships with many of the party’s leading figures.

He retired in 1986; Ellen died in 2010. In recent years, Ben enjoyed his garden, social life, companionship with his partner, Moranna Colvin, family and book and chess clubs.

He is survived by Moranna, by his children, Lucy and Matthew, and three grandchildren, Abe, Anna and me.

MAJOR THOMAS HOWES was awarded an MC in November 1944 while serving near Forli, in Italy, with the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Fusiliers, in command of Z Company.

Thomas was ordered, on the afternoon of November 11, to advance through positions held by the Royal West Kents and capture a group of houses near a road junction.

As they crossed the start-line, the Company came under intense fire from Spandau light machine-guns and abwerfer (bazookas) sited in a factory which had been previously reported clear of the enemy and occupied by British troops. Howes’s right-hand platoon was pinned down until darkness, his left-hand platoon suffered casualties and went to ground, while the Company wireless set was destroyed and the signaller killed.

Thomas sent his reserve platoon in a right-flanking attack on the factory, but after gaining a foothold they were driven out by an enemy counter-attack. At this point a Tiger tank appeared at the crossroads and put nine rounds through the house occupied by Thomas and his headquarters, inflicting casualties and destroying a second wireless set.

Undaunted, Thomas reorganised his Company, sending the left-hand platoon to bypass the factory and push on to its main objective. With the remaining two platoons he made two further attacks on the factory and succeeded in clearing and occupying it by first light on the morning of the 12th. He then pressed home the attack to capture his original Company objective.

Within 30 minutes, the Germans counter-attacked, supported by tanks. The thrust was driven off with heavy casualties. An hour later, enemy dive-bombers destroyed the houses in which Thomas and his men had consolidated, causing casualties and disorganising the Company. Again Howes re-organised his men, and launched a further assault against another enemy strongpoint which they captured and held until relieved on the morning of the 13th.

Howes’s citation stated: “By his grim tenacity of purpose and sheer determination to surmount every obstacle in 48 hours’ continuous fighting, Major Howes contributed largely to the defeat of a determined enemy in what was one of his main points of resistance.” For his conduct during this battle, Howes was awarded an immediate Military Cross.

Thomas Capel Howes was born in London on October 18 1914 and educated at Holloway School. After school he worked as a clerk in an insurance office and in 1937 he qualified as a loss adjuster for a chartered surveyor. In 1940 he married, Grace Gregory and had a son and daughter.

By this time he was already a Special Constable with the City of London Police, and on the outbreak of war he volunteered for the 6th Horsed Cavalry Training Regiment. By 1940, however, after officer training at Sandhurst, he was posted as a Second Lieutenant to the 2nd Battalion, the Royal Fusiliers.

He served with his battalion, as platoon commander, intelligence officer and adjutant in Egypt, North Africa and Italy. He commanded a company at Monte Cassino and, in June 1944, was wounded near Lake Trasimeno and hospitalised for four months.

In October he rejoined the battalion, taking command of Z Company, with which he won his MC. In 1945 he was posted to Greece on peace-keeping duties and was demobilised in 1946.

He rejoined his old firm, Cecil Haughton, for whom he continued to work until 1956, when he moved to the firm of Kittle, Gower to set up a branch office in Swansea for the loss adjusters Ellis and Buckle.

He quickly established a successful practice, and a national reputation, becoming a director of the firm, and world president of the Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters before his retirement in 1979.

In 1958 Howes helped start the 1st Pennard Scout Troop, becoming Scout District Commissioner for Swansea Central in 1965. That same year he became chairman of the Swansea Philharmonic Choir. He also sang with the choir of St Mary’s Church, Pennard, and in 1966 became a Reader in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon.

He was an active member of the Royal Fusiliers Association and made several visits to Cassino with comrades and family.

Thomas died in 2001 aged 86 and is survived by his wife, Grace, with their son and daughter.


Scotland Yard’s former anti-terrorism chief, who investigated the Brighton bombing and helped bring Patrick Magee to justice, died in 2019, aged 82.

Commander William Hucklesby led the Metropolitan Police’s anti-terrorist squad from March 1982 to November 1984, during some of the worst IRA atrocities in Great Britain.

These included two blasts in London’s Hyde Park and Regent’s Park in July 1982 which left 11 soldiers and seven horses dead; a car bomb attack outside Harrods in December 1983 in which six people died and 91 were injured; and the October 1984 Brighton bombing at the Conservative party conference, which killed five people and injured 34.

During Mr Hucklesby’s time at the helm of anti-terrorism, revised IRA methods of operating in small, self-contained units led to fewer arrests than those that followed attacks in the 1970s.

While there were occasional criticisms of police strategy, Mr Hucklesby was almost always able to identify his suspects even if they had fled beyond his reach.

At a press conference following the Brighton bomb, he rebutted claims by unnamed “security sources” that his suggestion the device that blew up the Grand Hotel could have been planted weeks earlier was a case of the police “covering up the inadequacy of their own security”.

He pointed out that police sniffer dogs had searched the seaside hotel before the conference to check for explosives but found nothing, which suggested that the bomb may have been wrapped in cellophane.

Mr Hucklesby turned out to be right on both counts.

Investigating officers swiftly narrowed the source of the blast to the bathroom of room 629 and began tracing everyone who had stayed in that room, including IRA volunteer Patrick Magee.

Magee stayed at the Grand Hotel a month before the conference, using the name Roy Walsh, and planted the bomb, wrapped in cling film, under the bath.

The device was fitted with a long-delay timer and detonated at 2.54am on October 12.

Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher was still awake, working on her conference speech, but escaped uninjured.

Magee was given eight life sentences at the Old Bailey in 1986, with a recommendation that he spend at least 35 years in jail.

He was released under the Good Friday Agreement in 1999.

Mr Hucklesby also played a central role in the probes into the attempted assassination of Israeli Ambassador Shlomo Argov by members of a Palestinian splinter group in Mayfair in June 1982; the Libyan embassy siege of April 1984 in which PC Yvonne Fletcher was murdered; and the bombing of the baggage area at Heathrow Terminal 2 which injured 22.

After retiring from the police in December 1986, Mr Hucklesby joined the retail conglomerate Sears as a senior executive with responsibility for group security, and was chairman of the security committee of the Oxford Street Association. He was a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society and the Royal College of Arts, a Freeman of the City of London and a member of the council of the British Foundation for the Study of Terrorism.

Mr Hucklesby is survived by his wife Josephine along with their son and daughter.

Dr. John Hudson passed away peacefully, at his Home in the U.S.A., on Thursday October 15th. 2009, at 4:50pm local time.

A Memorial Service for John was arranged by his sister Elizabeth and held at St. Andrews Church
Court Rd. Motingham, Nr. Eltham London S.E.9
oon the 4th November 2009

John’s was totally committed to both Holloway School and the Old Camdenians as Headmaster and President. Please read his review of the school and the club from their birth to 31st August 2004

Holloway School and Old Camdenians’ Club Centenary Retrospect (2009)

Read the conclusion by Dr.John Hudson OBE BSc.,MSc., PhD., Headteacher 1997 to 2004

Sidney will be most affectionately remembered by OC’s as chairman, actor and producer for the Dramatic Society. Governor of the School (1969-81) and a long supporter of the Old Boys. He served the Royal Academy for 52 years and was its secretary from 1968-1982. , Sidney was a loyal, decent, courteous and a talented musician (as all attendees at annual reunions will subscribe). He became a Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy during the 39-45 war.

He was appointed MVO in 1967 and advanced to CVO in 1977. Even after Sidney retired he still maintained strong contacts with the School and gave a number of talks to boys about art, literature and music, subjects that were a revelation to many of them. Sidney introduced me to the dramatic society and was instrumental in my taking a great interest in the theatre. I used many of the techniques he taught me when in later life I conducted management development programmes at home and overseas. Sidney was registered blind when he died earlier this year aged 88. Many of us will always be grateful for knowing him and learning from him. (RB)

Albert Henry Thomas Irvin OBE RA was an English expressionist abstract artist.

Born in London on 21 August 1922 he attended Holloway School, and was evacuated during World War II, to study at the Northampton School of Art between 1940 and 1941, before being conscripted into the RAF as a navigator. When the war was over, he resumed his course at Goldsmith College from 1946 to 1950, where he would later go on to teach between 1962 and 1983 where he met and became good friends with Basil Beattie, Harry Thubron amongst others. He was elected to The London Group in 1955. He worked in studios in the East End of London from 1970 onwards.

Bert married Beatrice Olive Nicolson in August 1947. In the early 1950s Bert met and was hugely influenced by many of the “St Ives” artists including Peter Lanyon, Roger Hilton, Terry Frost and Sandra Blow.

He won a major Arts Council Award in 1975 and a Gulbenkian Award for printmaking in 1983.

His work is widely exhibited both in the UK and abroad, in such places as the Arts Council, Birmingham City Art Gallery, the Chase Manhatten Bank, the Contemporary Art Society, Manchester Art Gallery, Whitworth Gallery Manchester, Leeds City Gallery, Tate Britain, the Victoria and Albert Museum, Oxford University, Cambridge University and Warwick University Arts Centre.

His influences included Walter Sickert, Henri Matisse, JMW Turner, Jack Smith and and Edward Middleditch.

Bert was appointed officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2013 Birthday Honours for services to the visual arts.

Bert died on 26 March 2015.

Tom was born in Berlin in 1928. He escaped to the UK in 1938 and, after wartime evacuation to Dorset, returned to London in 1945 to join the Science 6th Form at Holloway School. He left in 1947 with five excellent Higher School Certificates, which he put down to the tuition and encouragement he received from ‘Bump’ Brown (physics), Doc Atkinson (chemistry) and ‘Bunny’ Griffiths (pure and applied maths), all of whom he regarded with great respect and affection.

After becoming a British citizen he was called up into the army. Having completed his army service, he entered London University in 1949 and graduated in physics. A long and varied career followed, first as a physicist at the Mallard Research Laboratories then as a Divisional Director with Phillips which took him to various parts of the world. He then became a Management Consultant. Ultimately, leaving business behind at the age of 50 to took to teaching and became a teacher of physics.

In retirement, Tom continued to travel widely with his second wife, Joyce, and pursue a diversity of interests including sailing, water colour painting and stained glass windows. Tom came late to the Old Camdenians and thoroughly enjoyed those reunions he was able to attend, particularly the two occasions when he was the oldest member present. Typically, he attributed his longevity, in part, to the occasional glass of whiskey and/or red wine, taken for strictly medicinal purposes.

He had a fertile and inquisitive mind and was never happier than when he was tackling an apparently insolvable problem and finding a solution. The tributes from his family and friends at his funeral, reflected his warm friendship, kindly nature and endless fund of stories told with an impish sense of humour, all of which will be greatly missed by those privileged to have known him.

Tom’s remarkably full life ended peacefully in hospital on 26th April 2019, two weeks after a sudden and major stroke. Our sincere condolences have gone to Joyce and his devoted family at their very sad loss.

Alan Meyer

Brian Kelly died peacefully after an illness lasting sixteen months. During his National Service, Brian served in Malaya with the Intelligence Corps. He was a member of the successful 1950’s Old Camdenians cricket club 1st Xl along with Dennis Steel, Paul Yates, Gordon Wing, Charles Simpson, George Robb, Alan Kirby, Bill Wraight, Mick Larner, Alan Cornelius, Bert Weedall, Richard Brown, Brian Collins, Sid Brittin and others. In 1951, Brian was part of the first OC’s cricket club touring side after the war. He was also a member of the OC’s Dramatic Society where he performed a number of leading roles.

In 1958 he was joined by Alan Cornelius and Richard Brown trekking the summit of Mount Pilatus. It was there that Brian first had the feel and passion for mountains and mountain climbing. He later joined TWW (ITV) in Bristol, as a cameraman (including Outside Broadcasts) and in1968 joined the BBC Natural History Unit where he acquired his professional name of ‘Ned Kelly’ and stayed for a long and successful career as a documentary maker and later a producer. He was a television photographer for several of the BBC documentaries of Mount Everest expeditions. Ned was co- producer of the David Attenborough series ‘Life in the Freezer’ and ‘The Living Planet’ . He retired from the BBC to pursue his career as a freelance producer and mountain guide. He led many trekking parties in the Himalayas and the Kingdom of Bhutan. Brian was godfather to my son. He married Suzanne and his two children, Hugo and Zoe both graduated. Hugo is now with the Foreign and Commonwealth office and Zoe is a graphic designer in Stockholm. Brian (Ned) Kelly was intelligent, interesting, modest, kind and possessed a great sense of humour.

He died in 2014. At his memorial service the dress code was walking boots and wellies.

We extend our sympathy and condolences to Suzanne and family.


Albert Reginald Knight’s parents William and Martha were a journeyman butcher and laundress respectively and he was their fifth child born at Holloway on the 30th November 1900.

Educated at the Camden Secondary School for Boys, in Holloway, Reggie won the national schools Junior Graceful Diving Championship S.C.A.S.A in 1919 whilst still a pupil there.

In 1920 Reggie became a member of the Otter S.C. He was placed 2nd in the ADA National Diving Championships in the high board event in 1920 and duly won the event in 1921 and 1922. He was runner up at the 1923, 1924, 1925, & 1929 ADA Championships.,

He represented Great Britain at the 1924 and 1928 Olympic Games. In 1924 in Paris he was placed 7th in the Plain High Diving and 11th in the Platform Diving events, and four years later at the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics he finished 8th in the Platform event.

In 1926 at the first European Championships, held in Budapest Reggie Eric MacDonald both went under their own steam as unofficial entrants, and he won a bronze medal in the plain high diving event. He can as such be considered Britain’s first competitor at a European Championships. He also represented England at the European Diving Championships in Bologna, Italy in 1927.

Reggie later went to Imperial College London, and became a research chemist. His research work subsequently took him from London to the Scottish border town of Jedburgh, where he became President of the Jedburgh Swimming club.

He returned to London to live in Hillingdon in the 1930’s and later died in Romford in 1964.


Claude de LaPeyre was born on 3rd June 1949 and died on June 7th 2008 in Mauritius, aged 59 years, after being murdered by an employee who was burglarising his home.

Claude is survived by four sons and a daughter, Boris, Thierry, Nicolas, Gregory and Elodie, and eight grandchildren, Amelie, Yurika, Thea, Chan, Emanuelle, David, Ciara and Tyron.

Claude’s family came from Mauritius to the UK in October 1962 and he was brought up in the Finsbury Park area of north London. He attended Holloway School where his overwhelming passion was biology.

The head of the biology department, Darrell Kay, was a larger than life character who encouraged open conversation with his 6th form students. This created an atmosphere where students were encouraged to talk and discuss all matters, the news, biology… everything.. The biology lab became a haven and none of the class had ever experienced anything like it before. He and Alan Massey taught the then new Nuffield ‘A’ level syllabus which encouraged students to develop their own research projects. Students also had free passes to London Zoo, so Claude and his classmates spent many hours with the animals without any distraction. A hospital even gave the department a dialysis machine. Claude responded splendidly to this approach to teaching, as did his fellow classmates Craig Hinkins, Stavros Kallis and I…

After the ‘A’ level exams Claude and I went to Finland to spend the summer with my relatives. We had never reckoned on the fact that people in parts of rural Finland had never seen a black man before. Everywhere we went people would stop and look at Claude, and especially the children. They would stop, often sit down and stare open mouthed and after a pause their parents had to tell them to move on. The Finns are very polite so it is very innocent. They had never seen a man like Claude before. Claude soon got used to it and took it in his stride. We had a great time in the forests and on the lakes, exploring, boating, fishing, swimming, having saunas and enjoying the friendship and hospitality of the Finnish people. We also taught the Finns to play cricket.

He went on the study and be awarded a degree in zoology at Portsmouth Polytechnic in 1971. After working in a number of UK laboratories, in 1975 he moved back to Mauritius, something he had spoken about many times to his friends, Craig Hinkins and myself.

He worked for a time on government research projects on toxic poisons, but after a few years ventured into agriculture establishing a small farm with livestock. Claude was later to say that it was his experience in Finland that led him to want to become a farmer.

Claude slowly developed the farm specializing in the breeding of quality pigs, cows, chickens and he was the director of the Glenside Meat Processing Enterprise, in Pailles.

Claude lived modestly and did everything with passion and love. He applied his knowledge of biology to become an innovate and successful breeder. He was a lover of the land and enjoyed nothing more than spending his time on his farm with his animals. People who came to the farm often confused him with a gardener and he had much fun playing this role.

Claude was a modest, kind and gentle man who quietly helped many people without making a fuss. He was devoted to his children and he had even assisted his would be murderer by helping with the funeral of his father and later his younger brother.

His passing leaves a hole in the hearts of many people who had the privilege of knowing him and being his friend. His family are heartbroken by his passing.


Eulogy given by Richard Brown at the funeral of |Mick Larner.

I first met Mick, for that was his name to us, when he left Holloway School and joined the Old Boys.

He was one of those talented sportsmen who would be selected for the 1st X1 for both cricket and football. He coupled his natural sporting abilities with determination, energy and enthusiasm.

His bright, fresh complexion, blonde hair and quietly spoken voice gave him a somewhat angelic appearance. Though there was nothing angelic or quiet about his hard resourceful play – or his crunching tackles on an opposing forward who might dare to try and pass him on the football field.

At cricket he bowled quickly – his square shoulders – swinging arms and strong slender physique proved him to be an efficient wicket taker. He batted in the middle order – more of a Flintoff than a Boycott.

His commitment to the team was always 100% – as it was to his family team.

Mick wasn’t a comedian. He didn’t tell jokes – yet he enjoyed laughter, was happy and could see the funny side. Off the sports field he was a gentle person. He was fun to be with.

Just over 44 years ago I was privileged to be the best man at Mick and Peg’s wedding. What was so outstanding about that day was the laughter; it was such a fun occasion..

He played squash. On court he was a fierce competitor. He would run and run non-stop. His legs would keep going to the final point – whether won or lost.

He later took up golf – displaying a full natural swing in his drive. Then the methodical final putt played with the concentration of a qualified accountant – which of course he was.

Throughout his family life, Mick revealed those same characteristics that he had shown so well in sport. He was dedicated to his family; committed to the family team and to the job in hand; He was loyal and fair; He was open and honest; With Mick.“ what you saw was what you got”.

He had Faith, Hope and Love. He was a good man – a good man to have on your side.

Whether you knew him as Mick, Mike, Michael, Dad or Granddad, cherish his memory and remember him just as he was to you.


Mr C F Lewis started work at Holloway Comprehensive School as Deputy Headmaster to Mr M W Brown. He became headmaster in 1960 and retired in 1973. When he was a boy, he had attended Bec School in Tooting. He excelled there becoming Head Boy, Vice Captain of the Rugby team and was a crack shot gaining the Bell Medal at the rifle club. He went to London University and obtained an honours degree in French and Latin.

His first post was as assistant master at Mitcham Grammar School. Staff were needed to take boys camping – at Morgat in France, and thus he was introduced to the camping life and bought his first tent.

During the war, he became a P T Instructor in the RAF at Filey, taught gunnery and was subsequently commissioned and sent out to Penang. In 1948 he married and had two daughters, Clare and Barbara: Barbara is now Head of Modern Languages at Winchester College.

From Mitcham he moved to Holloway which, at the time, was one of the first comprehensives in London with approximately 1300 pupils. With Fred Lindgren, an Old Boy, and his wife, he took his daughters to camps that were organised for boys who could not afford to go on holiday. They all went on expeditions with the boys. He became a sailing enthusiast and many holidays were spent camping and sailing all over England with his daughters. Walking was another hobby that he pursued – again with his two daughters.

In 1973 he retired and moved to Emsworth at the head of Chichester Harbour where he had a boat. He became Commodore and later Treasurer of Emsworth Cruising Association. He taught part time near Chichester and became a School Governor in Havant.

When the boat was sold he was accepted as a member of Chichester Arts Society excelling at not only producing very high class portraits but also landscapes. Many of his pictures were sold privately at various exhibitions and his portraits were often bought by the people who sat for him. He held two posts of office for the Chichester Arts Society and often kindly helped other members by taking them to weekly evening demonstrations etc.

He was modest, multitalented, even embarking on learning to play the classical guitar in his 80’s. He moved to Cornwall to be near his eldest daughter, Clare, enjoying visits to local projects like the Eden Project and the National Marine Aquarium in Plymouth.

Although battling with cancer for the last 13 years, he remained a gregarious man with a strong sense of fun. With all his talents, energy and warmth, and wide circle of friends, he touched an enormous number of people. His influence would always be a good one and far more than most people would be able to exert.

He kept in touch with his former colleague, Mr M W Brown (known as Meredith) up until he passed away aged 98. Mr C F Lewis died in April 2005 having reached the age of 91.

Clare Austin – Daughter

Fred Lindgren died peacefully at a nursing home in Southampton. He was held in the highest esteem and will be long remembered as a kind and gentle person. He gave most generous support to the school during his long and distinguished career. He introduced many school leavers to the world of accountancy. Fred was a past Governor of the school and was a dear friend and colleague.

Fred was a quiet, reserved and private man devoted to his wife, Mary and to his children and grandchildren. If was typical of Fred’s generosity and that of his daughter, Sylvia who arranged for donations in Fred’s memory to be divided between the RAF Association, for whom he did a great deal of benevolent work and the Old Camdenians.

Jo and I visited Fred in the Southampton nursing home just before he died. Although frail and blind he was, at the age of 93, mentally alert and could still calculate mental arithmetic.

All those who knew him will respect his memory.


It is with deep sadness that we have to inform you of the loss of Eric who died 6th November 2020, aged 98 years.

I place here The Times‘ obituary to Eric; dated Saturday November 21 2020:-

Last of the ‘secret listeners’ who eavesdropped on captured Nazi generals in English country houses

Mark’s work led to the identification and destruction of most of the launch sites for V2 ballistic rockets Locked up in a camp on the Isle of Man to hold enemy aliens, Eric Mark, a German-born Jew and a refugee from Nazi tyranny, was eager to contribute to the war against his homeland. After two years an opportunity materialised.
British intelligence routinely interrogated enemy prisoners of war for tactical and technical information, and when the first German general was captured in 1942 a seam of strategic information was opened. Intelligence officers knew that a general, despite the humiliation of capture, would be too proud to demean himself by aiding his country’s enemy, but if caught off-guard in a private moment he might carelessly reveal a crucial secret.

More generals were captured and elaborate arrangements for their accommodation began. The estate of Trent Park in north London was requisitioned and each room bugged with microphones that were linked to listening points in the cellar. Trees and bushes in the grounds were also bugged. The idea was to create “special gilded quarters” for the “guests” to put them at ease and encourage loose talk. A Savile Row tailor even visited to make uniforms for them. Similar provisions were made at Latimer House and Wilton Park, both in Buckinghamshire, for U-boat commanders and Luftwaffe aircrew. Meanwhile, teams of German speakers were assembled.

After demobilisation, Mark obtained an economics degree from the London School of Economics and began working for Shell International Mark had enlisted in the non-combative Pioneer Corps and become a lance corporal. Called to the company office, he was informed he was now a sergeant in the Intelligence Corps and transferred to the Combined Services Detailed Interrogation Centre, where he was joined by other previously detained enemy aliens. Assigned to Trent Park, he became part of a team of secret listeners monitoring the German generals’ conversation in two daily shifts in the so-called M (for miked) Rooms: one shift from 8am to 4pm and the second from 4pm until the generals fell asleep.

“Listening to them talk was one of the most difficult times I ever had, but I could not show any emotion,” recalled Mark, who would sit in the cellar recording conversations on to a disc, which was then taken away for translation. “Most of them liked to boast about how many Jews they had killed, saying things like ‘I knocked off about 1,500’, which was tough for me to take, being Jewish.” Occasionally he and the other listeners would walk around the grounds and speak to the generals “who had no idea what we were doing”.
It quickly became clear that the generals fell into two camps: those who philosophically accepted the inevitable defeat of Nazi Germany, especially after the reverses at El Alamein in October 1942 and the surrender of their 6th Army at Stalingrad in February 1943, and those who had faith in the rumoured Vergeltungswaffen [retaliation weapons] that would change the whole course of the war. Discussions about the latter led to the secret listeners’ most significant breakthrough. Generals Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma and Ludwig Crüwell, both taken prisoner in the Western Desert campaign in 1942, were overheard discussing a German secret rocket programme. This was swiftly linked to a conversation at one of the other listening sites between two officers about concrete ramps they had seen in the Peenemünde area close to the Baltic coast. Air intelligence pounced on this information to help to identify the purpose of the site, believed to be a factory, in a cleared part of forest adjacent to the ramps. Here was the rocket factory and the launch pads ready for the missiles.

The night of August 17-18, 1943, marked the first of a series of RAF Bomber Command attacks on the Peenemünde factory and facilities. Mark and his fellow listeners at Trent Park had unlocked the secret of the Vergeltungswaffen, the V1 “flying bombs” that were to be launched on to southeast England the following year. Their discovery also led to the identification and destruction of most of the launch sites for V2 ballistic rockets. “As soon as I heard something interesting I put the needle down on the record . . . My job was to pass it on quickly for others to analyse,” Mark said.
Eric Meyer Mark was born in 1922 in Magdeburg, the son of Otto Mark, an importer of shop fittings, and his wife, Erna. He attended the local “Gymnasium” until his parents sent him to England, aged 12, to escape Nazi persecution. He attended Regent’s Park and Holloway schools and was planning to go to university when he was arrested as an enemy alien in 1940. His parents were sent to Treblinka concentration camp and did not survive.

In 1947 he met Miriam Majerfeld, a Polish refugee, at a party in London to mark the Jewish festival of Purim. They were married in 1951 and had three children: Anne is a Blue Badge tourist guide, David manages a photography gallery, and Sandra is a genealogist.
After demobilisation, Mark obtained an economics degree from the London School of Economics and began working for Shell International. From 1973 to 1987 he was head of the European Commission’s directorate of transport.

In 2012 he became the poster boy for Helen Fry’s book The M Room, later republished as The Walls Have Ears (2019), and a television documentary on the secret listeners. At the launch of Fry’s book, Mark received a standing ovation after a short speech in which he apologised that he was a little deaf — “ironically for a listener”.

Eric Mark, listener at the wartime CSDIC, was born on July 18, 1922. He died on November 6, 2020, aged 98

Dr Raymond Rowe

We were aware that Tony was in a nursing home following a major and disabling stroke. Indeed Peter Sumpter, Bob Pearson and Chris Pocock was able to visit him there. However it was with great sadness that we learnt that only recently he died of a heart attack in February 2019, aged 76.

Although was not an Old Camdenian, his contribution to the club, being an honorary member, was considerable in many ways. He began playing in the lower elevens of the football club during the 1970s and what he may have lacked in finesse he more than made up for in enthusiasm and encouragement to his team mates. The high point of his playing career probably came in the 1980-1 season, when he captained and inspired the 7th XI into winning Division Four North of the LOBL – their only ever trophy!

With his natural bonhomie, Tony was completely in his element with all the post match banter and backchat in the clubhouse at Burtonhole Lane. It was there also, where he could be found offering good quality sports clothing and equipment (via his business contacts), at a significant reduction, for the benefit of club members. There were many takers, or in his words ‘punters’.
Subsequently and after persuasion from Ron Nutkins, Tony took up refereeing. He rose rapidly up the ladder and achieved the distinction of running the line at a Wembley Cup Final – an honour of which he was rightly proud.

He was in short, a great supporter of the Club, not least as a very generous contributor to the 50+ Club. More recently Tony was a regular attendee of our luncheons, where his ever cheerful presence and bear ‘hug greeting’ will be greatly missed. Our thoughts are very give his family at this difficult time.

Compiled by Alan Meyer with the help of Peter Sumpter

Alex Martin (surname Thomson at Holloway School)a dancer, artistic director, choreographer was born on September 18, 1921 in London. He attended Holloway School from 1936-38 and as a teenager, Alex saved the money he earned as a clerk for a securities broker to pay for ballet classes. He studied with Molly Lake, Margaret Saul and Vera Volkova in London in 1942. He became the lead dancer of the Ballet Guild between 1942-1946 and a dancer at the Sadler’s Wells and the Royal Ballet, 1946-1949. He was solo dancer at the St. James Ballet & London Metropolitan Ballet, London and Paris, 1949-1950. Alex was solo dancer in the ballet Brigadoon, that was performed in Capetown and Johannesburg, South Africa, 1950-1951.

He also appeared in various films including ‘Knights of the Round Table’ 1953, ‘The Red Shoes’ 1948, ‘Stage Fright’ 1950 & ‘Invitation to the Dance’ 1956 and danced at historic events such as the coronation of Prince Rainier of Monaco. He moved to the US in 1953 and became a teacher at a ballet studio in Minneapolis 1953-1954, before Ruth Pryor brought him to Cleveland in 1954 where he taught at Ballet Russe.

He founded the Ballet Guild of Cleveland, the city’s first nonprofit touring semiprofessional ballet group in 1958 and taught numerous Cleveland-area teenagers who leaped into professional dance careers. He opened his own studio the Cleveland Ballet Center 1958 and Cleveland Institute of Dance 1962, where he taught young people the basics of ballet and preached the doctrine of discipline. ‘When a dancer performs, it doesn’t matter if his feet hurt or if his mother just died. His duty to the audience comes first. Nothing outside can matter’. Although he gained a reputation as a hard taskmaster, Alex showed compassion for promising dancers who couldn’t afford to pay for his classes. “I am grateful to Mr. Martin for the full scholarship he offered me in exchange for cleaning the sinks and toilets in the dressing rooms,” said Catherine Turocy, artistic director and co-founder of the New York Baroque Dance Company. “As this was also one of my Saturday chores at home, it seemed like a small price to pay.

Coming from a family of eight children, I know we could not have afforded lessons otherwise.” Some of his students received scholarships from the Ford Foundation and the ballet program continued due to the National Endowment for the Arts and other grants. The company did something in the region of 300 performances, and many productions were put on in poor neighborhoods, especially for the children. By 1974, Alex gave up the struggle of trying to keep the Ballet Guild financially on its feet. This led a core group of Ballet Guild board members to take steps to establish a professional dance company, the Cleveland Ballet.

Alex was a prominent figure in the development of dance in Cleveland, many of his students became established dancers, and Alex’s Ballet Guild of Cleveland became the precursor to the Cleveland Ballet. In his later years, Alex wrote reviews for dance publications in England. Alex died in January 2006 at University Hospital Hanna House, Cleveland, Ohio aged 84 years. Alex left no immediate surviving relatives. RH

Harold “Twink” Martin 1932-37

The funeral of “Twink” will take place on Wednesday December 2 at 2p.m. Eltham Crematorium, North Chapel, Crown Woods Way, Eltham, London SE9 2AZ

Family Flowers only, donations to Diabetes UK c/o Co-Op Funeral Services, 7 Station Parade, Station Road, Sidcup DA15 7DB

Nearest Station Falconwood (Charing Cross)

HAROLD MARTIN (“Twink”) 1920-2009

Harold was affectionately known to his classmates and all Old Camdenians as “Twink” – a named he derived as a young pupil because of his “starlike” qualities. Twink was a bustling, busy person with a quick and active brain. He had an in depth knowledge of The Club, being one of the few remaining Old Boys who spanned the pre and post war years. He was Secretary to the now defunct “Camdenians’ Society” and was for a time Secretary to the main club.

In 1994 he was made Honorary Life Vice President of the Old Camdenians Club. Shortly after the war, when notices to members were sent out by hand addressed envelopes at committee meetings, he would stop at many of the names and tell an anecdote about the person ( not possible now with computers). He was jointly instrumental in drawing up the club constitution, which remains to this day.

He was a keen badminton player in the days when the old hall doubled up as a badminton court. Prior to joining the Old Boys Dramatic Society he had joined several touring theatrical companies, performing a number of tasks and roles both back and front of stage. He was also heavily involved in the reforming of the Tavistock Players Company and the renovation of Canonbury Towers where his skills learned as a maintenance fitter during his wartime RAF days were put to good use. Whilst he had several different employers, he spent most of his working life at Gerald Eve, a large company of Chartered Surveyors. In retirement, Twink became heavily involved with the local residents association, the local Civic Society, the Docklands Forum and the local Council on environmental issues and planning applications.

We send our sympathy to his wife Beryl. They had been married 46 years.

Richard Brown

For more than 40 years, William Edward John McCarthy, tracked the progress of Britain’s industrial relations from his base at Nuffield College, Oxford. Bill charted the growth of shop-steward power in the 1960s, was enmeshed in the struggles of Labour and Conservative governments to regulate the unions in the 1970s and 80s, and, after the Thatcherite revolution swept away many of the assumptions of his working life, tussled with the TUC and Labour to find an industrial relations consensus. His understanding of the intricacies of collective bargaining guaranteed him a role as an arbitrator of knotty disputes, from train drivers to teachers, and later as a Labour spokesman on employment in the Lords.

Bill was born on 30 July 1925, brought up in Islington, north London, attended Holloway County school. He left school to become an assistant in a gentleman’s outfitter. The shopworkers’ union Usdaw recognised a precocious intelligence and secured him a scholarship to Ruskin College, Oxford, in 1953. Glittering progress followed, though his self-confidence did not always endear him to others. After a distinction in his diploma, there was a first at Merton College in philosophy, politics and economics before, in 1958, he embarked on a DPhil at Nuffield, becoming a research fellow the following year. He remained at Nuffield as faculty fellow from 1969 and emeritus fellow from 1992.

At Ruskin he met Margaret Godfrey, the daughter of an Oxford midwife. They married in 1957. It was a close partnership; she encouraged him when his self-belief faltered and they battled side by side in the Oxford Labour party, where both held office. From Ruskin, too, came a lifelong friendship with Ruth and Derek Gladwin, later a major figure in the GMB union and chairman for years of the Labour party’s conference arrangements committee.

Bill’s D. Phil was on the closed shop: it was a timely look at the growing influence of shop-steward power amid rising political worries about the breakdown of centralised union control and the growth of “unofficial” locally endorsed action, labeled in newspaper headlines as “wildcat strikes”. When this concern was translated into Lord Donovan’s Royal Commission on Trade Unions and Employers’ Associations by Harold Wilson’s government in 1965, Bill was an obvious candidate for research director. His colleagues remember his energy and enthusiasm and the quality of the research papers, while the report’s famously permissive conclusions, against restrictive legislation, in favour of union involvement in broader business questions, chimed with his convictions.

These broadly followed the “Oxford School”, a group around Allan Flanders and Hugh Clegg, who became Bill’s supervisor and mentor. Flanders had emphasised the importance of organisations involving trade unions, insisting that it was not so much outcomes as the extent of involvement which mattered. The idea of a trade-off between giving unions a say on broader national issues and demanding greater responsibility became a critical theme for Bill.

As prices and incomes policy continued to preoccupy the Labour government, Bill was summoned to the economic research department of the Department of Employment and Productivity set up by Barbara Castle in 1968. His appetite for the political inside track took him deep into the government’s discussions about statutory intervention in collective bargaining. Although this had been rejected by Donovan, ministers were now increasingly drawn to it as a response to growing industrial action.

Bill was at the Sunningdale conference in 1968 when Castle unveiled her blueprint for what would become the In Place of Strife policy – an attempt to regulate union behaviour by sanctions including cooling-off periods, in exchange for extending workers’ rights. He noted: “She came down, this tiny little person and sat in this great chair, and it was marvellous; it was how we were going to thread our way through all these difficulties and she asked me to write it.”

But the consequences were bitter. The draft, Partners in Progress, was attacked in cabinet and by the TUC after it was leaked. Redrafted as In Place of Strife, it came up against the “terrible twins”, the new trade union leadership of Jack Jones and Hugh Scanlon, who joined with Jim Callaghan, then home secretary, and party doubters to defeat the idea of legislation. Instead an agreement was cobbled together, with the commitment of the TUC to take effective action on unconstitutional strikes.

As an industrial relations adviser and arbitrator, Bill had to work hard to regain the confidence of the big union battalions. Ironically, his own views were permissive: “We have no certainties to put in place … what we offer is merely a greater appreciation of the limits and constraints [on change in trade unions],” he wrote in 1981, shortly before Margaret Thatcher shifted the landscape irrevocably.

His academic colleagues saw him as a great empiricist, without a strong theoretical framework, fascinated by minutiae. “Give him an obscure rule book,” said one friend, “and Bill is never happier.” For 30 years he produced a book almost every year. The role of shop stewards or employer’s associations, wage inflation, New Labour at work, employment legislation, were all analysed. He was recognised as an outstanding teacher, but preferred practice to theory, and was regularly called on to help with union mergers and for arbitrations and inquiries. But he would resist being named as the union choice, guarding his independence, in spite of his transparent politics.

He and Margaret were renowned for their work as canvassers, and Bill’s chairmanship of the Oxford Labour party in the 1960s and 70s was marked by a mastery of procedure and the way he moderated between vociferous proponents of opposing beliefs from CND to proto-Social Democrats. His own views were centrist; a close friend of Tony and Susan Crosland, he was most comfortable with moderate union leaders such as Gladwin, David Basnett and Sid Weighell. His wider political career was subject to Labour’s factionalism, and ended in some disappointment.

He was created a life peer on 19 January 1975 by Wilson as Baron McCarthy of Headington in the City of Oxford to buttress its industrial relations expertise. He was cold-shouldered by Callaghan, with whom he had clashed years before over immigration policy and union reform. A man of strong likes and dislikes, and a sharp tongue, he would tell friends, “never trust a word that Jim says.”

After the Thatcherite assault on union rights, he and Bill Wedderburn, his legal academic counterpart, became a powerful double act as TUC advisers and in the Lords. But the arrival there of heavyweight union leaders such as David Basnett and Muriel Turner diluted their influence. Unimpressed when Tony Blair became the party’s employment spokesman, he was still hurt when Blair declined to give him a frontbench post when he became prime minister. After the Iraq war, he would describe Blair as worse than Ramsay MacDonald.

Shaped by the 1960s and 70s Labour party, he found some difficulty in adapting to new currents in Labour and TUC thinking. An opponent of entry into the Common Market, he remained sceptical, even scornful, of European trade union activity which increasingly absorbed the TUC. He remained in his element, and in demand, dealing with complex arbitration issues, although the results were not always clearcut. His chairmanship of the Railway Staff National Tribunal from 1973 to 1986 coincided with major industrial unrest but never seemed to impinge. A colleague described him as “a good sticky-wicket batsman. He could always come up with a good answer. If it didn’t satisfy, at least it kept them quiet.”

Typically, his experience was translated into academic studies of the arbitration and conciliation process.

Outside industrial relations and politics, his keenest interest was theatre and its history. Always liable to break into a quotation from Shakespeare, he and Margaret were passionate supporters of the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Bill died on Monday 18th November 2012 aged 87 years and is survived by his wife, Margaret.

Dave was born in London within the sound of Bow Bells – so he considered himself to be a true cockney. He was the only child and grew up near the Arsenal Football Stadium and took every opportunity to watch his favourite from the north bank. He knew almost every player who had ever worn the Arsenal shirt – their previous clubs, their history, their signing on fees, number of caps etc. One of his sons described him as an Arsenal ‘nutcase’. He named his three sons after Arsenal players ‘ Robert john, Alex James and David Jack and still talked about the possibility of Charlie George and Tony Adam Metzger.

In 1939, he was evacuated with the school to Towcester for four years and was lucky enough to stay with a nice family with two children of their own and two other evacuees. He recalled that he must have been one of the few students to have passed their ‘School Certificate’ while sitting the exams in the boy’s toilets – the toilet block was underground and in the war considered to be a safer place.

On the school’s return to London in 1943, Dave played a great part in establishing Holloway as a force to be reckoned with in school soccer. During the next 4 years the 1st XI were not only undefeated but had an overall goal average of 10-1! Players of the calibre of George Robb, Stan Heritage, Mick Grassman, Alec Godfrey and Ken Parsons all contributed to this successful period.

In 1946, four Holloway players – Dave, Mick Grassman, Alec Godfrey and Ken Parsons were picked to tour Norway as members of a North London Grammar Schools representative team with Ted Drake (Arsenal & England fame) as the manager. There were, apparently, many interesting discussions between Dave and ted drake during the tour! Subsequently, Dave, Alex and Mick were invited to sign amateur forms for the Arsenal but National Service and University reduced such signings to distant memory. Dave was 17 years old when his father died and he left school to become the ‘breadwinner’ for his mother and himself. His first job was in an office prior to two years national Service. During this period he obtained a diploma in electronics. He then decided to pursue a career in teaching and applied for a place in the College of St. mark and St. John in Chelsea. He needed a reference from a priest – a little difficult – particularly as Dave had never been to a church in his life other than singing in the church choir when he was evacuated. An Army Chaplain came to the rescue with a reference saying ‘I don’t actually recall who he is, but he does have a good army record’ – on this he was accepted.

He completed his B Sc in physics, mathematics and chemistry followed by teacher training. History, the arts and politics were also of special interest to him. He studied and read the Old Testament as part of his course and came top in R.E. – still without ever going to church!

Just before taking his first teaching post at Alleyn School, he took a temporary job as a hospital porter at UCH. It was there he met his future wife, Jean, who was a nurse and they married in March 1956. By a great co-incidence, some members of the OC’s were passing through a south coast town on the first day of their honeymoon and they gave a suitable rousing cheer when they saw Dave proudly walking with his new bride.

After a spell at Slough technical Grammar, Dave and Jean, decided in 1961 to move their then two small children to start a new life in New Zealand: a move they never regretted. In the 60’s Dave continued his sporting activities, always played with a big heart and gave 100% and would often come off the field exhausted. He claimed all his children were conceived on a Saturday night as he’d arrived home from football tired and completely unable to defend himself!
Dave and Jean have lived in both North and South Island during the course of Dave’s teaching career and finally made their home in Auckland. One of his roles was as physics lecturer at Auckland Teachers College. he was a superb lecturer – not interested in the theoretical or politically correct way of doing things, but as a master teacher himself he wanted to actually teach the teachers ‘how to teach’. In education he was a strong disciplinarian, but did not approve of corporal punishment – perhaps memories of Doc Atkinson played their part.

He has many interests – CND, Greenpeace, racial equality, calligraphy, football and tennis club committees. One special lifelong interest was the collection of cartoons; his garage was full of them, all categorised under education, law and order, politics etc. He also loved drawing caricatures, particularly people at meetings! he was a self-confessed hoarder and nutcase! He loved all types of music, was a good debater and had a wealth of knowledge. He was the person the family always turned to for advice.

On both sides of the world Dave has left his mark. He will be remembered as a fun-loving person with a wonderful sense of humour, that remained right to the end. When he was first diagnosed with cancer nearly three years before he died, he telephoned one of his sons and simply said ‘Alex I think I’ll take up smoking!’

The word that comes to most people’s mind when thinking of Dave is enthusiasm, his enthusiasm did so much for the school and the OC’s and for all the organisations he was involved with in New Zealand. We all feel the better for having known Dave and give thanks for his life.
Reg Taylor

After gaining 8 General and 4 Higher School Certificate passes at holloway, John graduated from the then Northern Polytechnic with an Honours Degree in Physics. In 1952 he joined Edison Swan Co. at Brimsdown (later Thorn EMI) where he remained until 1984 becoming Senior Engineer working on the Blue Fox radar system for the RAF Sea Harrier.

He subsequently worked for the DTI in the Patent Office and then the Insolvency Department. Although he never attended the Dinner, John kept up to date with School and Old Camdenian matters and was particularly interested in the reminiscences of those who, like himself, were evacuated to Towcester during WW2 – an experience which made a great impression on him. He always spoke highly of the teachers of Holloway and held Doc Atkinson, ‘Bunny’ Griffiths and ‘Bump’ Brown in particularly high esteem. He passed away in hospital in November 2003 after an illness that lasted several months

It was with shock and great sadness that we learnt that Alan had passed away suddenly in his sleep after a short illness. Alan was a prominent member of both the cricket and football clubs in the 1970s and 1980s. He made a significant contribution in a variety of ways both on and off the field, not least by introducing a number of talented players into the O.C.F.C. He worked as a groundsman at Bow Lane, Chase Lodge and, more recently, at Wingate Finchley F.C. in the Ryman League where he was twice awarded ‘Groundsman of the Year’ by the Football Association. Moreover, his passion for, and knowledge of, football earned him much respect at many levels of the game.

His forthright, yet essentially friendly, nature will be greatly missed by all who knew him. Many Old Camdenians were among the large gathering at St. Pancras Burial chapel on 26th September 2011 and afterwards at Wingate Finchley F.C. Our deepest sympathies go to Denise, Stewart, Robert and the family on their sad loss.

“Alun” as he was always known, was born of Welsh Parents and successfully passed to go to Holloway School and eventually became both House and School Captain. He was a very uncompromising “Full Back” as I remember but I believe he would have preferred Rugby perhaps because of his Welsh heritage.

In those days the Vlth. Form of Holloway together with William Ellis, Parliament Hill Girls and Camden Girls School used to organise monthly Dance/ Socials. It was at one of these that Alun met Yvonne his future wife.

Although he qualified for University, he was selected for Pilot’s and Officers training at Cranwell, the esteemed R.A.F. College. This proved significant because after he was commissioned he decided to make the R.A.F. his career and was selected to be one of the first pilots of the “V” bombers eventually being promoted to high rank in Bomber Command. The O.C.Club has in its archives a picture of him being greeted in the U.S.A, having made the first “goodwill” flight to the States.

Alun was not only an excellent operational Officer but later in his career, he proved to be also an extremely able at administration and diplomacy which led to many very prestigious postings such as Hong Kong, Singapore, Cyprus, USA and Brussels Belgium and his extremely high rank of Air Commodore.

After retirement from the RAF he studied and obtained a Degree at Bath University and then subsequently was a Lecturer at the same University.

He was also appointed, by the Lord Chancellor, Inspector for road and footpath schemes, and chaired inquiries of all sizes such as the Snowden Railway and Carmarthen and Merthyr by-passes.

He was always a great supporter of the Camdenians and will be sorely missed at the Annual Dinner and I for one will remember him in the traditional 9pm Toast “Absent Friends”.

To quote Alf Mortimer on learning of his demise wrote
He was always so cheerful and optimistic and the fact that he had such a successful career made me justly proud we shared the Vlth. Form together. He was a real role model
He was reported in the national press as an Englishman who, after a “stroke” woke up speaking Welsh. The truth was entirely the other way round inasmuch he was a Welshman, bilingual who woke up speaking no English. He thought it a hilarious episode and enjoyed being interviewed about his Welsh roots.

He, Yvonne his Wife and two daughters had 24 different Homes during his service but to quote his daughter Shan Morgan, to whom I owe sincere thanks for providing me much of the content of this Obiturary, they had a warm and happy home wherever he was stationed and

“Gwag yw’r aelwyd hebddot ti”
Our Home is empty without you
George Ives

Alun died in 2013 ahd his funeral took place on Friday 1st February 2013 at 12-30pm at St. Nicholas Church, Bathampton, Nr. Bath.

For over twenty years, Alf was a stalwart of the Football Club, playing for much of that time at wing half in the higher elevens. His energetic, all action style of play inspired team mates to give of their best, whilst his competitive spirit and fierce tackling made him a formidable opponent. This was, however, coupled with a strong sense of fair play and sportsmanship which won him great respect both on and off the field.

Alf’s sustained level of fitness throughout his active life was remarkable. In later years, he appeared regularly for the O.C. Veterans XI, and ended his playing career with Crouch End Vampires at well over the age of sixty. He was, in addition, a talented tennis player, still competing at a high level in the Seniors game well into his seventies. Indeed he was for a time a member of the England Senior Squad.

Alf was a dedicated Old Camdenian, and was heavily involved in the design and construction of the clubhouse at Burtonhole Lane, as well as serving the club in a variety of other capacities. Who can forget those trips to away games in the back of his furniture van! He was always good company with a fund of amusing anecdotes and seldom failed to attend the annual Dinner/Lunch at the School, which he greatly enjoyed. His presence on those occasions and elsewhere will be sorely missed by all those who knew him.

Our sincere condolences go to Mary and the family at this sad time.

Alan Meyer

A great Sportsman, hard but fair, a stickler for playing by the rules, an “impish and “wicked” sense of humour are some of the attributes that the many O.C.’s gathered at Alf’s Funeral expressed, Many reminisces were related about Alf and how he would transport the Teams to matches in the back of his furniture Van. All of these sentiments and more were conveyed in the tributes extended to him during the Service.

Alf was a great personal friend and I have cause to thank him for the many kindnesses he extended to the large Charity, of which I was the Director General inasmuch as he supplied much of the fittings and specialist equipment to the new Hospital Section we built and equipped as well as providing much of the furnishing of the Bungalows at cost price.

The Club has lost a great stalwart, so many of us have lost a Great Pal and I like many have lost a Great Friend. All of us will miss him greatly and I for one will remember him when we take the Toast at the O.C. Lunch to Absent Friends.

George Ives

Alf died in 2018 and his funeral took place at 3pm Monday 5th February 2018 at Woollensbrook Crematorium,Hertford Rd,Hoddesdon, Herts EN11 9BN

John Mulrennan attended Holloway from 1958 until 1966, taking an extra year to improve his A Levels. To distinguish him from the other eight Johns in the Sixth Form he was often referred to as ‘Jet’ owing to the initials of his forenames – John Edward Thomas. He was a senior prefect and then Deputy Head Boy in his final year.

He was an enthusiastic sportsman and was selected to represent Islington Schools for a match against Possil Park Y.M.C.A., Glasgow at the Arsenal prior to a league match against Leicester City in October 1966, but this match was cancelled due to morning rain. He represented Newcastle University as a medium fast bowler and played for the Old Camdenians Cricket Club during the summer breaks. He continued for many years as a useful swing bowler for both the first and second elevens and was also considered handy with the bat.

Always quick to see another’s empty glass he was an intelligent and humorous friend to have around, whether in a group or just to meet for a catch up. He was a fervent West Ham supporter, travelling on push bike from Holloway Road to the Boleyn Ground from his early teens until adult employment afforded him the luxury of a tube ticket.

He had a huge collection of books and music albums which represented what teachers might call ‘a wide catholic choice’. He attended concerts by artists and groups unheard of by the rest of us but many a boring motorway journey to one of England’s football grounds was enlivened by his collection of ‘Round the Horne’ tapes.

He worked at Islington Council until in his later years he suffered from MS and passed away on November 25th 2010.

John Barber